1. Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Wenn du dich weiterhin auf dieser Seite aufhältst, akzeptierst du unseren Einsatz von Cookies. Weitere Informationen
  2. Bitte schaltet eure Ad Blocker aus. SLinfo kann nur betrieben werden, wenn es durch Werbung Einnahmen erzielt. Vielen Dank!!
    Information ausblenden
  3. Wir freuen uns, wenn du dich in unserem Forum anmeldest. Bitte beachte, dass die Freigabe per Hand durchgeführt wird (Schutz vor Spammer). Damit kann die Freigabe bis zu 24 Stunden dauern.
    Information ausblenden

Lunamaruna - eine Cartoonstadt, bewohnt von "pufferfishs"

Dieses Thema im Forum "Ingame Reisetipps & Reiseberichte" wurde erstellt von Kila Shan, 14. April 2010.

1. Kila Shan

Kila Shan Moderatorin Mitarbeiter

Punkte für Erfolge:
    Lunamaruna

Posted by Silver Linden on Apr 12, 2010 1:19:37 PM

Scottius Polke has a thing for fish. The unconventional designer behind last year's 'mushROOM' sim has recently launched his latest build 'Lunamaruna' as part of the Project Z art installation. Visitors will encounter a cartoonish village populated by pufferfish. Yeah, pufferfish. It may sound odd at first, but taken along with the build's unusual color palette and exaggerated architecture, it all makes sense. And like all of Polke's builds, it's really funny. Whether it's 'mushROOM''s lethal smelly socks or 'Lunamaruna''s flying manta rays and rideable pufferfish, rezzing into one of his builds without cracking a smile is no easy task. So how does Scottius create such stunning builds while tickling Residents' funny bones at the same time? I recently spoke with him about 'Lunamaruna,' his design process, and what's the deal with all those tropical fish.

1. Walk me through your design process. What steps do you go through when creating a new build?

It is an evolving process for me. The ideas and style of my builds start with ink drawings in my sketchbook. I envision how to bring this illustrated world into Second Life in a way that both maintains their original character, but also works in the context of a 3D realm. I then start on the basic framework and structure of the new build. I will draw some very simple background illustrations, scanning them in and slowly trying to work out their general color palette. Next come specific objects here and there, such as a chair or a creature, in an attempt to discover just what it is that resides in this world I am creating.
    It's not unusual for me to get a considerable way into a build and then find the need to greatly alter it. That was the case with Lunamaruna; I had worked on it for about a month but felt the quality and coherency to be weak. I pulled back for some time and re-examined what direction I wanted to go with it, bouncing ideas around with a couple of friends. I wound up scrapping much of the original design, which was difficult, but the end result was a piece that is better suited for Second Life.

[​IMG]

2. What was the inspiration behind 'Lunamaruna?' There seems to be a little Dr. Seuss meets Tim Burton vibe going on in your work.

The idea for Lunamaruna came from a drawing of a floating island I did a few years back. This one in particular fascinated me, as the island was overflowing with an odd combination of organic and inorganic objects. However, I was dissatisfied with how I initially brought the drawing into 3D form, and it has since changed considerably from the original.
    The bright colors and fantastical creatures definitely harken back to Dr Seuss. While not an intentional inspiration, the organic buildings of Gaudi probably influenced me, as he is one of my favorite architects. Surrealistic images of Miro, Ernst, and Magritte are always floating around in my head, so there's a little of that, too.

3. There definitely appears to be some similarities between Lunamaruna and your earlier build, 'mushROOM.' Did any of the ideas you had while designing 'mushROOM' influence 'Lunamaruna?'

There is an obvious stylistic connection between the two, especially in the use of hand-drawn illustrations to create the textures. One of the thoughts in my head when finishing mushROOM was to take this style and move it on to a bigger stage; to take it out of the bedroom and into the village. Lunamaruna contains the same feeling of life that mushROOM has. MushROOM has amoebas, molds and fungi, and Lunamaruna has manta rays, pufferfish and angler fish. I also felt that Lunamaruna had to have that touch of humor and playfulness that mushROOM possessed. You will also find the rocking chair from mushROOM being used by one of the fish (who is appropriately named Grumpy McGil).

[​IMG]

4. Is there an official story or narrative to 'Lunamaruna,' or is that something you want Residents to create for themselves when they visit?

While there are many clues around the island as to what this place is and what may have happened there, I intentionally kept the storyline open-ended. I would rather Residents come up with their own ideas about Lunamaruna. I feel this may give them a more active role in exploring and allow visitors to connect to my village on a more personal level, so that they can take away their own stories.

5. What can Residents expect from you next? Do you have any other projects in the works?

I have some ideas floating around that involve dogs, crocodiles, and caves.

6. Seriously, why tropical fish?

Tropical fish are a metaphor of each individual's struggle to maintain expressive autonomy in society....well, not really. It's just that I think the fish iz so groovy. ;)

2. Kila Shan

Kila Shan Moderatorin Mitarbeiter

Punkte für Erfolge:
    Ich war gestern da. Echt klasse Sim, da haben welche ihrer Fantasie freien Lauf gelassen.

[​IMG]