• Bitte schaltet eure Ad Blocker aus. SLinfo kann nur betrieben werden, wenn es durch Werbung Einnahmen erzielt. Vielen Dank!!
  • Wir freuen uns, wenn du dich in unserem Forum anmeldest. Bitte beachte, dass die Freigabe per Hand durchgeführt wird (Schutz vor Spammer). Damit kann die Freigabe bis zu 24 Stunden dauern.
  • Wir verwenden Cookies, um Inhalte und Anzeigen zu personalisieren, Funktionen für soziale Medien anbieten zu können und die Zugriffe auf unsere Website zu analysieren. Sie geben Einwilligung zu unseren Cookies, wenn Sie unsere Webseite weiterhin nutzen.

Kinect Integrated Into Snowstorm Second Life Viewer by Merov Linden

Kila Shan

Moderatorin
Teammitglied
Another metaverse milestone: Kinect interactivity has been integrated into Snowstorm, Linden Lab's open source Second Life viewer, by engineer Philippe Bossut, known in SL as Merov Linden.

As it happens, this is actually Kinect returning to its roots, so to speak. Back in 2008, Bossut was working with Linden board member Mitch Kapor to create a hands-free 3D camera interace for Second Life. "It compares pretty well since it's the same code really," as Bossut explains to me. "The Kinect hardware is provided by Primesense, and Mitch and me did work with a Primesense camera at the time." As Kapor told me then, this was part of his plan to help make Second Life mass market, but the project was discontinued due to the difficulty of mass producing the 3D camera hardware. With Kinect very much mass market, however, it may be that Microsoft has solved that problem for them. And us.
Watch:

[video=youtube;ECNTlOz5-pU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECNTlOz5-pU[/video]

More from Bossut after the break, on making this code open source, and the fascinating challenges of integrating it into Second Life usage:

6a00d8341bf74053ef0147e2c0eec9970b-800wi

"We don't have a clear plan right now as to when we'll put that code out in an open source repo on bitbucket but we will eventually," Merov tells me.

...weiterlesen
New World Notes: Kinect Integrated Into Snowstorm Second Life Viewer by Merov Linden (Who Also Worked on a Kinect Predecessor)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Zurück
Oben Unten